When God says go, Margo Nolan goes.
The former Oak Ridge Baptist Church member lives her life
with a focus on impacting eternity. The
latest evidence? She felt God calling
her to move to Hagerstown, Maryland.
So what did Margo do?
She moved.
“This is it, this is where I’m supposed to be,” Margo says
of her new community, where she works with Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics
Anonymous to bring hope and healing to those incarcerated at the jail, the
detention center, and the rehab centers of Hagerstown.
Margo has a track record of going where God sends her. Before selling her home and taking a rather
literal leap of faith by trusting God and moving hours away to pursue her latest
adventure, Margo was a striking example of how much God can use just one person
to work the PEACE plan here at Oak Ridge. Over the years
at ORBC, Margo has completed mission work in China and Peru, volunteered down the street
four days a week in a Bennett Middle School classroom, helped lead Celebrate Recovery at HALO, and most recently,
traveled to Macedonia to begin laying the groundwork for establishing Celebrate
Recovery ministries in four churches.
Margo—and the rest of the Macedonia team—learned about the
opportunity to go on mission in Macedonia by connecting with the ORBC's Macedonia Partnership Community at one of Oak Ridge’s PEACE Gatherings—the meetings that take place at ORBC for members to find
out about ways to get involved here in the community as well as all over the
globe.
In Macedonia, Margo visited with four different churches to
discuss strategies for beginning Celebrate Recovery ministries with
pastors. The programs meet a very real
need—out of 196 countries in the world, Macedonia ranks #35 per capita when it
comes to the percentage of the population that abuses heroin. This statistic is even more shocking when you
understand how small Macedonia is. There
are just over two million people there (compared to over 323 million in
America).
“I hope that going there, we lit a spark,” Margo says.
On one occasion, Margo spoke to a crowd of about
twenty-five. Her audience? Family members of addicts.
“I gave my testimony, I said everything I could say. I gave my testimony. I hope and pray that someone heard.
“It’s a really hard place.
I’m praying for these people. I
know from working in China for ten years, that breakthroughs can be made.
“Things can change, they can, and I hope that they do.”
In America, admitting to addiction comes with a stigma, with
a certain amount of shame. In Macedonia,
that experience is heightened. Margo
relays a common concern she heard over and over again from family members of
addicts:
“We don’t want the neighbors to know.”
The people of Macedonia desperately need hope. According to Margo, “They say they are
Christian, but nobody goes to church.
There’s no seats in them, and nobody goes. There’s no active Christianity going on
except for in the few evangelical churches. The people there are scared of
them—they think they are cults. So suggesting
to the pastors that they start a Celebrate Recovery program and getting them to
get addicts to go out into the [church] building was very difficult.”
Nevertheless, we know that God works all things for the good
of those who are called according to his purpose.
Says Margo, “I hope I left a seed. I think they get it now.”
To learn about future opportunities to go on mission in
Macedonia as well as other ways to get involved through the PEACE plan, email- peace@orbc.net or keep an eye out for the next PEACE Gathering.
Comments
Post a Comment